Respiratory, pulmonary and cardio-respiratory physiotherapy is an highly specialised area within physiotherapy. It specialises in the assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of clients with diseases, injuries or conditions of the lungs and/or the heart. It is also widely recognised that appropriate exercise can be effective in disease prevention and is integral to the management of those with a variety of cardiothoracic conditions.
Common conditions include; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD – Bronchiectasis; Emphysema; Bronchitis); Congestive heart failure (CCF); respiratory infection (pneumonia); Hypertension; Angina; Heart Disease; Heart or lung injury or surgery.
People with acute heart or lung conditions or flare-ups are often admitted to hospital and may encounter a respiratory or cardio-respiratory physiotherapist in hospital. Physiotherapy input may or may not continue at home on discharge or as an outpatient.
Depending on your needs, physiotherapy treatment may include;
- Deep breathing exercises (to encourage increased lung volumes and prevent lung infection and collapse)
- Hands on techniques and breathing facilitation exercises (to expand lung capacity)
- Chest percussions and vibrations (to help loosen secretions and make coughing for chest clearance easier)
- Breathing and circulation exercises (to prevent further respiratory or vascular complications such as chest infection, and deep vein thrombosis)
- Mobility assistance (to move safely in bed, sit up, stand and walk)
- Mobility aids (advice, prescription, and instruction on how to safely use a walking aid)
- Individually tailored exercises (to control breathing patterns, improve breathlessness, build muscle strength, build muscle endurance and improve general health and well being)
- Ongoing fitness programmes and supervision of active rehabilitation
We are fortunate to have a highly experienced expert clinician who is able to see clients either in clinic or at your home or in a care home. Jenna works part time at Salisbury Hospital and part time for us;
JENNA WIPPELL – BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy, BSc (Hons) Sports Science, MSc module Pulmonary Respiratory, MCSP, ACPRC
Specialist in Respiratory Care
Since qualifying as a Chartered Physiotherapist in 2004, Jenna has worked in the NHS in a variety of settings and roles. She has spent the last 12 years specialising in treating those with respiratory conditions on acute medical wards, respiratory and gastrointestinal wards, coronary care, surgical wards, high dependency units and on critical intensive care. Jenna has lead courses for patients undergoing Pulmonary Rehabilitation after an episode of illness. She specialises in assisting those with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). At Salisbury District Hospital, Jenna supervises junior physiotherapists and physiotherapy undergraduates in their training. She also participates on the Salisbury District Hospital emergency on-call out of hours rota for those requiring urgent assistance.
Jenna is a member of the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care (ACPRC) and the British Thoracic Society (BTS).
If you would like to find out more or arrange an appointment please get in touch.